There is something about gray which makes think elegance and sophistication………it is a colour which has become hugely popular in interiors over the past year or so. But grey is not exactly a happy colour and it is not a first choice for most people I am sure, but it can be used successfully and in combination with other colours, like indigo or hues of blue. According to colour psychologists, gray is a neutral, unemotional and a detached colour. It is a colour of compromise since it is neither white nor black but in interiors it need not be so ominous and can be used in a manner that is not overwhelming. It is also quite a favourite of top interior designers around the world.
1. Handsome grey panelling with an interesting industrial light, a collection of personal knick knacks lends this space oodles of character and the colour works.This space is fairly large and well-lit and hence the grey does not overwhelm.
2. This charcoal grey kitchen does make a dramatic statement. The yellow splash back and chair gives the whole space a much needed relief from the same bold colour throughout.
3. The handsome grey panelling in the bedroom is striking. This handsome shade has been introduced by the The Little Greene Paint Company. To see their whole range please click here.
4. Charcoal grey panelling in a classical style living room.
5. Dark charcoal grey walls in this really airy and light filled space elevates this living room from nice to stunning. A little bit of white and yellow works wonders with grey. To see more of this stunning home take a look here.
6. Shades of grey with white and beige is also a good combination, it is a neutral palette. To see more of this home please click here.
7. Another great space in a neutral colour palette which favours grey definitely. To see more click here.
8. If grey walls and panelling is not for you then introduce the colour in small doses, using furniture like a grey sofa as seen in the image. To see more click here.
9. In a predominantly white space, grey works very well, it looks stylish and sophisticated. To see more of this lovely space click here.
10. This Nate Berkus designed space is defined by the grayscale photographs behind the sofa. This talented designer says that ‘grey is a fail safe colour for any room.’
Would you use grey in your space? Or are you already living with grey? Does it work for you?